They do nothing particularly difficult or sophisticated, but they are effective in creating value in their role through focusing on certain behaviours and activities that make all the difference.
- Work at making sure their influence exceeds their levels of authority.
- Motivate those around them to change things
- Inhabit the mind of the customer
- Learn about the future, try to make the present work better and avoid being constrained by the past
- Are more of a coach less of a manager
- Constantly increase their knowledge, both directly and indirectly applicable.
- Feed and weed their personal networks
- Build talent around themselves
- Increase their skills before it’s a critical requirement
- Take their work really seriously but not themselves
- Maintain a sense of humility. Success is temporary failure is permanent
How many yes answers could you give yourself?